Wine Cake with Macerated Strawberries
- 1/2 c matso cake meal
- 1/2 c potato starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 c concord grape wine
- 3 tblsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 lg eggs separated and at room temperature for 30 mins.
- 1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 2 lbs strawberries trim & quartered (6 cups)
- 1/4 c concord grape wine
- 4 tsp sugar
- 10" tube pan 4 1/2" deep, removable bottom
- oven rack middle position 300 degrees
- Whisk together matzo cake meal, potato starch, salt in bowl
- Stir together wine, lemon juice in another bowl.
- Beat egg yolks, med speed until smooth add zest, 1 c sugar
- till smooth, thick and pale 2 - 3 mins.
- With mizer on low fold dry ingredients (1/2 matzo) then all wine
- mixture then rest of matzo mixtures, mixing just until combined.
- In another bowl with beaters cleared beat egg whites until form soft peaks. add remaining sugar little at a time until egg
- whites just for stiff peaks. Fold 1/4 into batter at a time.
- Pour batter mixture into an ungreased tube pan.
- Tap pan firmly 3 times on work surface 3 times to eliminate any large air bubbles.
- Bake 35 to 40 mins until golden brown and springs back when pressed gently.
- Turn upside down on rack and cool about 1 hour
- Strawberries, wine and sugar let stand at least 30 mins
- Dust cake with powder sugar and serve with strawberries.
Starr Hill Winery http://starrhillwinery.com/