Slow Cooker German Roast
- 2 1/2 to 3 lb. boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 c sliced carrots
- 2 c chopped onion
- 1 c sliced celery
- 3/4 c Kosher style dill pickles
- 1/2 c Lemberger wine
- 1/3 c German style mustard
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp red wine
- Cooked hot spaetzel or cooked noodles
- fresh snipped parsley
- Brown meat in skillet in hot oil. Drain fat.
- In cooker combine carrots, onions, celery, pickles. Place meat on top of vegetables. In small bowl combine 1/2 c red wine, mustard, pepper, cloves and bay leaves. Pour over beef & vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove heat and place on platter cover with foil
- (For gravy) skim off fat, discard bay leaf. Stir together flour & wine. Place in sauce pan along with cooking liquid & veg.
- Cook & stir till bubbly & thick.
Starr Hill Winery http://starrhillwinery.com/